Building a Life

A transition guide for Kansans

Things to Consider

  • Figure out what it will cost for your young adult to live in their own home.
  • Create a list of spending categories (e.g., food, clothes, leisure activities)
  • Determine necessary and  unnecessary expenses to plan a budget

Residential Services

The state of Kansas supports individuals in their homes through home and community-based services waivers (HCBS). These waivers are described under “Life in the Community.” Each waiver offers a different type of support. The DD Waiver, for individuals with a developmental disability, is the most comprehensive of supports because it has the capability of serving individuals who have a high need for care.

Under the DD Waiver, providers support individuals in their apartments, home and group homes. Support may be a few hours a week up to 24-hour care based on need determined by an annual assessment.

If your young adult doesn’t qualify for the PD, TBI, or DD Waivers, some assistance can be accessed through independent living centers (ILC). ILC's can teach budgeting skills, how to buy groceries and many other important skills.

Often families will identify like needs and join forces in developing a new and different way of supporting their young adults. Reasons for not using licensed services are that the young adult doesn’t qualify for any of the waiver services, or they want to have more control on how supports are delivered. Parents also have the option of becoming a licensed provider through the CDDO under the DD waiver. Some have chosen to apply for a “limited license,” which means that they can only serve one or two individuals. There are options for families interested in finding a way of directing their young adult’s care. Your young adult’s targeted case manager should be able to share with you options that are possible. Each waiver has regulations on how services can be delivered.


Federally-funded supports for low-income housing may be available through:

Housing Choice Vouchers(Formerly Section 8): Allow very low-income families to choose and lease or purchase safe, decent and affordable privately-owned rental housing.

Public Housing: Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from single-family houses to high-rise apartments for elderly families.

Please note that residential support by licensed providers may mean the home or apartment where an individual lives may be owned by the provider.  When choosing a residential provider, you may also be indirectly choosing the type of housing and its location. Basically, the provider and the housing come as a package.